Since we are a marketing company, SEO is our bread and butter. But, because we are so nice and like to share, we decided to sprinkle some of our knowledge on you. In this article, you will learn a little bit (we can’t share everything we know then who would hire us) about what is SEO and how it works. So hop on and let’s get this ride started.
What is SEO?
SEO is shortened for Search Engine Optimization; what it shows is how websites are ranked on a search engine. Also, SEO is viewed as a digital marketing strategy that can help boost the quality and quantity of traffic on your website.
Optimization is a step by step process that you can use to help you rank higher on Google. By following these steps and by being patient you will get some great results.
So that you can understand what SEO is, it would be easier if I let you know some of its parts that I find essential.
The first thing that is the most important for me is you need to create exciting content so you can generate leads for free. Without creating something that’s going to spark something in your readers you might as well give up on your website.
The second part I find essential is understanding that SEO is important for your marketing efforts. With SEO you will gain more traffic on your website and get more conversions and leads. So, not just writing something that your readers like will be enough, also what Google likes is vital.
Third but not least part is knowing what the best practices are to optimise your website and content. So if you know how SEO operates gaining popularity with Google will be simpler for you.
How does SEO work?
Even though the Search Engines are constantly changing how web pages are ranked, there are always going to be crucial elements that will lead you to the first page. So you might be asking what those elements are and I might as well tell you since I’m telling you everything, they are ONSITE and OFFSITE.
Onsite: your content and website infrastructure
I am going to tell you about a few onsite SEO factors that will boost your search engine ranking:
- The title tag: it shows search engines what is your page about. It should include the keyword phrase that your content is focused on. Also, it should have your business name.
- Meta description: it is a little description for your page that search engines show. It is also for your readers so they can see a bit of your content, so they can know if it’s relevant for them. This should also have your keyword phrase in it.
- Sub-headings: sub-headings help you make your SEO better and also make your content more readable.
- Internal links: by building links to other content on your website you help search engines know more about your website.
When putting keywords in your content, it is important not to overdo it, because search engines will penalize you for it. Also, your content should focus on a keyword phrase instead of just a keyword. By using a keyword phrase, it makes your content easier rank higher.
One thing that is super important since we live in a world where everyone has a mini computer (mobile phone) in their pocket. Your website NEEDS to be mobile friendly. You need to make your website more comfortable to use on mobile devices.
OFFSITE: how other sources refer your website
Some offsite SEO factors that can have an impact on your rankings:
- Trust: trust is important because it shows search engines that you have a real website that your readers trust. A way to increase trust in your site is by building backlinks from legitimate sites.
- Backlinks: you don’t want to overdo with backlinks because that can get your website banned. So try and find and connect with people that create good content and maybe will link back to your website in their content.
- Social media: it is a crucial offsite SEO factor because of likes and shares. When you get a lot of likes and shares you boost the ranking of your website. So by making great content, more people will like and share it, and you’ll get a higher ranking.
Probably my best advice for you about offsite SEO is, create fantastic content that will intrigue your readers. If your readers find your content interesting than you will have a better chance for your content to be shared and other people may link to your content.
Which tools are best for SEO beginners?
If you are a beginner these tools are best for you:
- Moz – It gives you all the SEO basics like Keyword research, improving rankings, and competition analysis. What is convenient about this keyword research tool is the different features that are bundled up together to help you tackle SEO head on.
- Uberuggest – What ubersuggest does for you, it helps you find more keywords to use. So when you use more keywords, it can help you rank higher.
- Buzzsumo – Buzzsumo shows you all popular content based on your keyword. With this, you get ideas about what people like so you can use it for your content.
- Ahrefs – It is used for SEO analysis. Aherfs will tell you the reason why your competition is higher in ranking than you. Also, it will help you with what you need to do to outrank them.
- Google trends – This tool is useful to show you how your brand is doing over time. You can use it to see if your brand is stronger than your competitors.
Experiment with SEO
What my best advice for you is, just practice. SEO rules are not concrete. You learn through errors, so just experiment with SEO.
There isn’t one rule for SEO for you to follow; only by going through trial and error can determine what SEO method works best for your website.
Another thing, combine and experiment with more than one method. Always have in mind that everything you do could not matter anymore because Google has released a new algorithm update or what your competitors are doing.
By always doing something different with your SEO strategy you won’t have a dull SEO strategy. So make it interesting for yourself!
After reading about what is SEO and how it works, maybe now you can implement it into your own site to try and get better SEO and higher rankings. Like I said throughout the article most important part is your content, so go ahead and make your content amazing!
Also, be patient. It takes time for SEO to work. Nothing happens overnight.
By the way, if you are too busy to learn this or don’t have the time to use your knowledge. You can always come to us, I mean we already know everything you need about SEO, and we are just waiting to implement it for our clients. So come to Highway Media, and let us start our journey together!